Thursday, December 6, 2007

The First Yurkenbaum


You know those life-altering days you never EVER forget.  The day I met Dan and Tiia was one of those days.
It was a Saturday afternoon in February '07.  I was at home (my first home) with Patrick just chillin' out in my room – I had just been out in the yard.  I remember looking out my window when the doorbell rang, and there were two really excited people outside.  Probably mormons, I thought to myself.  They've gotta bring the super-peppiness if they want to convert the French Catholics.
Anyway, Patrick answers the door, and these two come in speaking this weird language...that Patrick could speak too!!!  I mean, I'd heard him speak it on the phone, but never to other people!  I was intrigued – and a bit bored – so I went out in to the foyer (yeah...that's French, baby) to have a look.
And when I saw them, I knew.  And when I saw Patrick's face, I knew he knew.  Somedays, I miss Patrick a lot.  I'll never forget what he did for me, how he taught me right from wrong, and how he taught me to present myself for cleaning EVERY time I came in from the snow (Dan and Tiia are far less stringent).
When we arrived back in Toronto, they told me I'd have a new name.  Maui "The Hawaiian Pirate" Yurkenbaum.  I liked it.  It seemed to fit.  To be honest, there's always been something familiar about it, but I can't put my paw on it.  Maybe my therapist will help me figure it out.

(Up there, that's me with Tiia that afternoon)


No comments: