Monday, September 28, 2009

Becoming a grandson

Grampa scratches my chin every chance he gets, and Gramma actually gave me a bumrub last Saturday (kudos to her aesthetician, by the way). It's high time I started getting the verbal recognition, too. Enough of this granddog nonsense...I want to be a grandson!

And it's not like I haven't tried: I never pull when they walk me. I always follow Grampa to the bathroom. I even stopped putting my face in their crotches during dinner – although, that was only fun with Great-Grampa 'cause there was usually food there.

I think what's been holding them back is nomenclature (yeah...I said nomenclature). I think they're uncomfortable with the terms "Gramma" and "Grampa". And I get it. They're not good titles; their spellings are weird and I feel like they're a bit dated. Tiia always talks about her Vanaisa. That's a good title. Besides the whole ethnic thing, it's strong-sounding and commands respect. "Grampa" sounds like it should be followed by "what was life like during the depression?"

Maybe Bubbie Helen and Zadie Ed? Hmmm...? Gammy Helen and Gampy Ed? Nope. Helen the Wise and Ed the Benevolent? BenevolEd?

I'm open to suggestions...










2 comments:

Miranda said...

Dear Mr. Yurkenbaum;

Maybe the nomenclature seems unnatural because you refer to your mommy and daddy by their first names. That's very...modern. Disrespectful, and modern. I call my grandparents 'Grammy' and 'Grampy'. Hell, I'll call them whatever they want if they keep giving me a place to sit at the dining room table and feeding me mashed potatoes with homemade beef gravy when mommy goes away on vacation.

Sincerely,
Mr. Scamper

Maui said...

That's AWESOME! I wish I could get homemade beef gravy. I was over there today and all I got was stray pieces of bagel. I'm coming with you next time.